Terms & conditions
Welcome to Chapa!
By accessing and using our website, we consider that, you accept our terms and conditions contained herein under. Thus, we highly recommend you not continue using the service the service we offer in our website if you do not agree to be bind by all the terms and conditions provided on this page. Terms and Conditions provided herein under shall apply in full force and effect to your access and use of our Website. If you do not comply with all the provisions here under, then you will be liable for all resulting damages suffered by you, Chapa and all third parties. That being the case, we strongly recommend you to read and understand the following terms and condition carefully before being agreed to be bound by its terms and conditions document.
- Age Restrictions
In order to use our website and services, you must be at least 18 years of age. By agreeing to these terms and condition you warrant and represent that you are at least 18 years of age.
- Intellectual Property Right and License to use the Website
Unless otherwise stated, Chapa and /or its licensors own the intellectual property rights in the website and materials on the website. We do not grant you any right, license, title or interest to any of our intellectual Property rights which you may or may not have access to. The services are protected by copyright, trademark, and other pertinent laws of both the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and foreign countries. Nothing in this Term gives you a right to use the Chapa name or any of Chapa’s trademarks, logos, domain names, and other distinctive brand features. All right, title and interest in and to the services are and will remain the exclusive property of Chapa and its licensors.
In this regard, we grant you a non-assignable, non-exclusive and revocable license to use the website and software provided as part of our services in the manner permitted by these Terms and conditions. This license grant includes all updates, upgrades, new versions and replacement website, software and materials for you to use in connection with our services. You agree not to alter, re-design, reproduce, adapt, duplicate, copy, redistribute and republish materials, display, distribute, translate, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to create any source code that is derived from the software.
Any feedback, comments, or suggestions you may provide to us and our services is entirely voluntary and we will be free to use such feedback, comments or suggestion as we see fit without any obligation to you. Chapa reserves the right to monitor all comments and to remove any comments which can be considered inappropriate, offensive or causes breach of these terms and conditions.
- Who May Use Our Services?
You may use the Services only if you agree to form a binding contract with Chapa and are not a person barred from receiving services under relevant laws of the applicable jurisdiction. If you are accepting these Terms and Conditions using the Services on behalf of a company, business, or organization, you represent and warrant that you are duly authorized to.
- Acceptable Use
You must not use our website and services in any way that causes, or may cause, damage to the website or impairment of the availability or accessibility of the website; or in any way which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal or harmful purpose or activity. You must not use our website to copy, store, transmit, send, publish or distribute any material which consists of or is linked to any spyware, compute virus or other malicious computer software. You must not conduct any systematic or automated data collection activities (including but not limited to scraping, data mining, data extraction and data harvesting) on or in relation to our website without getting prior written consent from Chapa.
- Restricted Access
When it deems necessary, Chapa reserves the right to restrict access to any areas of the website or the entire website at its discretion. Chapa may provide users the permission to access the restricted areas of the website through providing different User ID and Unique Password. Chapa may disable this User ID and password in its own discretion without notice or explanation.
- WARRANTY DISCLAIMER
CHAPA WILL ALWAYS ENSURE THAT THE WEBSITE IS AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES AND BUG FREE. HOWEVER, IT IS USED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
WE PROVIDE ALL MATERIALS “AS IS” WITH NO WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OF ANY KIND. WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AVAILABILITY, SECURITY, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, RAVEPAY MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT OUR WEBSITE AND SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT OUR WEBSITE WILL REMAIN FREE FROM ANY INTERRUPTION, BUGS, INNACCURACIES, AND ERROR FREE.
YOUR USE OF OUR SERVICES ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU ALONE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT RESULTS IN LOSS OF DATA OR DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN OBTAINED BY YOU FROM OUR WEBSITE OR OUR SERVICES WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY OR CONDITION NOT EXPRESSLY STATED.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
YOU AGREE TO THE LIMITATION LIABILITY CLAUSE TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: CHAPA WILL IN NO WAY BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES INCLUDING DAMAGES RESULTING FROM REVENUE LOSS, PROFIT LOSS, USE, DATA, GOODWILL , BUSINESS INTERRUPTION OR ANY OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (WHETHER CHAPA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR NOT) ARISING OUT OF CHAPA’S WEBSITE OR SERVICES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION TO INABILITY TO USE, OR ARISING FROM THE RESULT OF USE OF CHAPA’S WEBSITE OR SERVICES) WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARE BASED ON WARRANTY, TORT, CONTRACT, STATUTE OR OTHERWISE.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR LIMITATIONS ON THE SCOPE AND DURATION OF SUCH WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU IN THEIR ENTIRITIES, BUT WILL APPLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
You hereby indemnify Chapa and undertake to keep Chapa indemnified against any losses, damages, costs, liabilities and expenses (including without limitation to legal expenses and any amounts paid by Chapa to third party in settlement of a claim or dispute on the advice of Chapa’s legal advisers) incurred or suffered by Chapa arising out of any breach by you of any provision of these Terms and Conditions, or arising out of any claim that you have breached any provision of these Terms and Conditions.
Chapa may transfer, sub contract or otherwise deal with Chapa’s rights and/or obligations under these Terms and Conditions without notifying you or obtaining your consent. But, you may not transfer, sub-contract or otherwise deal with your rights and/or obligations under these Terms and Conditions.
- Breaches of these Terms
Without prejudice to Chapa’s other rights under these Terms and Conditions and relevant laws in this regard, if you breach Terms and Conditions provided here in any way, Chapa may take such action as deems appropriate to deal with the breach, including but not limited to suspending your access to the website, prohibiting you from accessing the website, blocking computers using your IP address from accessing the website, contacting your internet service provider to request that they block your access to the website and/or bringing court proceedings against you.
- Governing Law and Dispute Resolution
These Terms and Conductions shall be interpreted and governed in accordance with the Laws of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and any dispute relating to these Terms and Conditions will be subject to the Ethiopian courts.
Chapa may revise these Terms and Conditions from time to time. Revised Terms and Conditions will apply to the use of this website from the date of the publication of the revised Terms and Conditions on this website. We will also try to notify you of any material changes which could be done via email associated with your account or service notification. We encourage and strongly recommend you to check this page on regular basis to ensure you are familiar with the current and effective version.
In the event that any provision of these Terms and Conditions is determined by any court or other competent authority to be unlawful and/or unenforceable, the other provisions will continue in effect. If any unlawful and/or unenforceable provision of the Terms and Condition would be lawful or enforceable if part of it were deleted, that part will be deemed to be deleted, and the rest of the provisions will continue in effect.
- Sub-merchants Requiring Pre-Approval
Chapa shall not solicit or sign agreements with merchants or sub-merchants (i) in any of the following categories/businesses, or (ii) engaging in any of the following activities unless Chapa is entering into a broad-based program with a recognized referral, technology or marketplace partner that specializes in these types of activities or businesses and such program is pre-approved by Chapa in its sole discretion:
- Age Restricted Products or Services.
- Any Sub-merchant where the anticipated percentage of International Card Sales is expected to be greater than 20% of total sales.
- Bail Bond Services or Bankruptcy Lawyers.
- Crowd Sourced Fundraising, as defined by Chapa from time to time, except however, Crowd Sourced Fundraising shall not be allowed for the purchase of stock or equity, a promise made to deliver a good or service in the future, or there is no consideration in return for the payment or donation.
- Dating Services.
- NGO / Charities.
- Money Transfer, Wire Transfers, Money Orders, Transmitters, and Check Cashing including merchants unless registered and licensed as a Money Service Business or Money Transfer Operator.
- Payment Facilitators (unless Registered & Licensed)
- Personal Enhancement Products and/or Nutraceuticals.
- Prohibited Merchants Activities
Chapa shall not solicit or sign agreements with merchants or sub-merchants (i) in any of the following categories/businesses, or (ii) engaging in any of the following activities as may be updated by Chapa in its sole discretion from time to time as they are prohibited by Chapa:
- Any product, service or activity that is deceptive, unfair, predatory or prohibited by one or more Card Brands.
- Any merchant selling goods or services that represent a violation of any law, statute or regulation.
- Any merchant selling products that infringe on the intellectual property rights of others, including counterfeit goods or any product or service that infringes on the copyright, trademark or trade secrets of any third party.
- Any merchant accepting a card as payment for a dishonored check or for an item deemed uncollectible by another merchant.
- Any merchant that accepts a card at a scrip-dispensing terminal.
- Adult entertainment and/or adult content websites including Electronic Commerce adult content (videotext) merchants that would include MCC’s 5967, 7273 and 7841.
- Brand or Reputational damaging, potential or otherwise, activities including Child Pornography, Escort Services, Mail Order Brides, Occult.
- Digital Wallet, Cryptocurrency or Prepaid Companies.
- Drug Paraphernalia.
- Firearms and weapons including Ammunition.
- Internet/Mail Order Pharmacies.
- Investment or “get rich quick” merchants, businesses or programs.
- Marijuana dispensaries and related products or services.
- Multi-Level Marketing Businesses.
- “Negative option” marketing, renewal, or continuity subscription practices; marketing activities involving low-dollar trails, “pay only for shipping” and/or “free trial” periods after which a credit card is charged periodically and/or a significantly larger amount.
- Pawn Shops.
- Pseudo Pharmaceuticals.
- Psychics and “occult” businesses.
- Quasi-Cash or Stored Value.
- Substances designed to mimic illegal drugs.
- Transacting Virtual Currency or credits that can be monetized, re-sold or converted to physical or digital goods or services or otherwise exit the virtual world.
Chapa will maintain the confidentiality of each transaction and will not disclose the commercially sensitive information’s, except to the extent necessary for the service and/or as required by relevant laws in this regard.
- Terminating Business Relationship
This Terms and Conditions will be binding on both parties and continues so long as you use our website and services or until the business relationship is terminated by Chapa. Chapa is entitled to immediately terminate any relationship with you and discontinue delivery of the service anytime without notice if you:
- materially breached this Terms and Conditions and do not comply with any of those provisions
- become ineligible for the service
- Upon request of the Card Issuers, Acquirer Bank,
- Due to any other reason that is acceptable to Chapa
Upon termination we will discontinue your access to our website and services through closing your account. Termination does not relieve you of your obligations as defined in this Terms and Conditions.
- Company Detail:
Name: Chapa Financial Technologies Share Company
Address: House No 755/41B, Woreda 3, Bole Sub City Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
These Terms & Conditions were last updated in August 2022.